Sunday, February 25, 2007

8. What did you learn in school today?- Pete Seeger

Some songs teach you things. Pete Seeger taught me about civil rights, taught me about another world far away from white middle class Guildford, about people standing up for their rights in a world that thought they were second rate citizens. Pete taught me about protest songs and although I didn’t understand the full implications of some of his songs he taught me about metaphor and breaking free from conformity. When I was about 10 or 11 I had an old chewed up tape of one of his concerts that I ‘borrowed’ from my parents. I loved explaining his songs to one of my friends, possibly the first memory of me introducing music and communicating through it. ‘What did you learn in school today’ is clever, funny and an example of how easy propaganda is to spread.

No comments: