Sunday, February 25, 2007

18. Landlocked Blues- Bright Eyes

I spent a whole month recently listening to nothing but the Bright eyes album, “I’m wide awake it’s morning”. This is a man whose every song echos something of the fight to express the meaningless of this life, to work through the pain, to express the hollowness and to ask the questions of identity and purpose. He doesn’t write your average verse chorus, verse chorus songs. Every song is an epic journey, poems to music, anguish expressed in beautiful ways. Landlocked Blues pretty much has it all, lines such as, “the worlds got me dizzy again, after 22 years you’d think I’d get used to spin”, and “You’ll be free child once you have died, from the shackles of language and measurable time.” Questioning anguish has never been expressed so well.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Couldn't agree more with all of this. I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning would definitely feature in my list. "I don't know what the trouble was, that started all of this, the meaning all has run away, but the feeling never did. It's not something I would recommend, but it is one way to live..." Ah. Love it. Heartbreaking. A massively significant album in my life. I'm very much enjoying your list!

Found via a friend of a friend I think - I'm friends with Fiona Merrick and somehow ended up on your blog from hers, possibly via some blogs in between! Hope that's okay!