Sunday, February 25, 2007

31. How great Thou art- Any large group of people singing at the top of their voices.

Ok so it’s a hymn, but really. In any list of songs that I love there must be a hymn. I love the poetry of old hymns, the fact that most of the time they express things in language that seems almost more deserving of the awe inspiring subject matter. This hymn is the one that I play every time I drive down the road into my valley in the Lake District (yes it is mine, I’ve claimed it on the new earth, yes you may visit). There are few other songs that are worthy of the journey. The Lakes are a place where I feel most at home, closest to seeing how big our God really is and is a area of the country that can bring me to tears. For such emotion I need a big song, this hymn is it. There are few other songs able to express the majesty of the views. Few other words that go so well with the tightness in my chest when I stare in awe at things so much bigger than little me.

No comments: